Friday, December 2, 2016

T'was the week after Thanksgiving


T’was the week after Thanksgiving

 

And all through the neighborhood. 

People were buzzing about doing some good. 

They were wrapping up items, making them nice;

Stopping just briefly for a cocktail with ice. 

They worked mornings and lunchtime and all through the night;

While all the time creating, such beautiful sights.

And rushing to this weekend, as the goal to be done;

Their work has paid off and we’ll have lots of fun!

So I’m not poet, but many thanks to my wife, all our wonderful friends, and neighbors who worked their butts off to pull off an amazing event and tournament.  Thanks also to the BCC club and staff for their contributions etc. So impressive was their work that both events sold out.  And for all those attending, when you see the amazing auction items, you will be blown away.

This was a chemo week for me and as you can imagine it wasn’t easy.  The cold has started to roll in and the neuropathy and finger burning is hitting new heights.  My oncologist even asked when my next MDA scan was going to be because he “felt bad prescribing these treatments right now.”  Now he doesn’t mean that they are the wrong thing, but he knows that after 25 treatments it’s kind of a miracle that my body is holding up and taking the junk the way it is.  Think about all those cancer commercials you see on TV. Most of the patients are talking about 4 – 6 treatments…not two bits.  So I not only hear his concern, I feel it, it is not easy. In fact it is hard, but I wear my game face most of the time.

It is definitely glove weather for me though.  I reached into the fridge to grab some leftover ham to make a sandwich and it felt like my hands were on fire.  This was the worst one yet.  So my doctor was asking that the next time I’m at MDA we really look at new treatment options.  He even advised that over Christmas maybe I take a couple of full weeks off again.  I thought I knew how toxic this stuff was, but to have my oncologist be concerned makes me wonder if I’m breaking new ground. 

Connor started basketball practice this week.  After a week of chemo and cold, running around chasing 2nd graders in the gym is pretty tiring.  I even had a dream of trying to make my old college baseball team again.  It was funny because I was so frustrated that I wasn’t hitting as well as I had been “in the spring (in my dream sequence).”  Then Connor came out of nowhere and said, “Dad, why are you trying to play college baseball when you are 47?”  Good question?!  I have no idea what that dream meant, but I figured it has something to do with starting a new sport for Connor and my competitive nature just pushing through, or maybe the story about that 55 year old guy who played football for South Carolina State last weekend. In any case, Connor has been practicing at home and seems to really enjoy it.

My CEA score was 4.7 again this week.  That is flat week over week and I was told not to stress over it.  It indicates “the tumors are being held down from progression.”  So that is something.  We all knew that it was about containment, and this is good news under that barometer. 

My energy level was fluctuating this week with all that was going on with the kids, chemo, and the event.  I don’t know how much of it was due to adrenaline, love, God, or what.  But it did not feel like a normal chemo week, in a good way.  I had a lot more juice in the tank, but got tired quicker and had to take more breaks.  But hey, when there is a lot to do, you gut up and do it right?

My neighborhood buddy (fellow stage 4 colon cancer) and I chatted a bunch this week about the cold and hand effects.  It’ll be interesting on Saturday when I take the kids out for the annual Christmas tree delivery.  If you remember from last year, it is where a bunch of guys in trucks and trailers deliver 650 Christmas trees to most of our neighbors.  They become the streetlights for the neighborhood over the holidays.  This year Josie wants to throw trees, so it should be interesting.  But Connor was her age when he started and he did fine, in fact she follows instructions better than he does.  But as for the weather…I’m going to have to pack the ski gloves for that one.

I’ve been thinking a lot about miracles lately.  My Priest and I have a date scheduled for the rites of the anointing of the sick.  I wonder a lot about being healed, and about making a difference.  As I’ve observed my event develop and unfold, it has shown such an outpouring of love, support, and amazing efforts.  I am left to wonder if that is itself the miracle?  To be able to see firsthand what it is really all about.  I think perhaps it is, and that makes me a very lucky and blessed man.  I hope my children appreciate the magnitude of support our community has put forth.  I think they will someday, certainly if they are reading this.  It feels very It’s a Wonderful Life right now.

I was watching the Steve Jobs movie over the last couple of weeks. And I’m also an adopted child and a genius.  Okay, well I was adopted anyway.  And I never met him and have no idea how true to form the movie was versus what made good viewing, but his parenting skills were pretty terrible.  Sure he was a brilliant computer guy, made billions, but couldn’t relate to his own daughter.  That is a shame and I’m thankful that I have such a sweet and close relationship with my littles. In fact, walking them to school, kissing and hugging them fill me with way more joy than any deal I ever closed.

So we’ll keep it short this week.  Thank you all for what you do.  I will continue to fight, try, and learn whatever lesson or test is in front of me.  I’ll keep reporting the news and will stay positive and focused.  I’ll also do everything I can to enjoy the moments around me, people who love me, and take time to notice those people who don’t think they are being noticed…especially this time of year. I used to do a thing where I would get fifty $2.00 bills and just randomly leave them around stores.  Two dollars can’t change anyone’s life, but it could change their day…so I’m thinking I just might do it again this year.  God bless.  TeamMarco@austin.rr.com

 

1 comment:

  1. You are a blessing to your kids and all who know you. Thank you. Praying. Believing. <3

    ReplyDelete