Friday, February 19, 2016

The Tortoise and the Hare


Tortoise and the Hare

Sunday was Valentine ’s Day.  We took the kids to church, to eat, then to a video arcade to have some fun.  Funny thing about church was the psalm song was about the refiner’s touch (My second, or fifth depending on your perspective, blog).  Perhaps another reminder of what is really going on.  After the service the kids went through the Stations of the Cross (their idea). It was nice hearing Connor read the placards and then act out the scene.  It serves as a reminder that no matter what, I’m going to be okay in the end.  Later that night we had the grandmothers over for dinner and it was a nice fun family day.  We’re getting closer to my vision of Connor taking Nita out on a date and me taking Josie on a Valentine’s date.  Maybe next year.


Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare?  I took Connor to baseball tryouts this weekend and two things happened.  He sucked and he was all smiles.  We practice intermittently at home and it’s somewhat by design.  I know that baseball is a game of repetition. However, I have always said that I’d rather Connor love baseball and watch it with me on the couch than be awesome at it and hate the game.  So we practice enough to keep it fun and develop some skills.  So far, my plan has worked.  He loves the game and now even Josie is getting into it.  I have a feeling Connor is going to surprise people and become the most improved player this year.  Or he will still suck, one or the other.  Either way, we’re all having a blast…and I’ll be WAY less intense as a coach as I was last year.
Wednesday night I was channel surfing after the kids went to bed and I stumbled upon a Breaking Bad marathon.  It was the episode with the fly in the clean room under the laundry factory.  In it Walt is explaining when he thought he should have died.  That perfect moment before things went wrong.  I won’t spoil it for those who haven’t seen the series except to say it is a very easy series to binge watch.  But it really made me reflect on my own situation.  Walter was a cancer guy and he approached things in a somewhat similar way.  Now I have no intention of starting a meth empire, so that aside, I do think about my family.  Walt’s method was to generate revenue to set his family up.  My method is to generate experiences instead.

So I reflected on my Tuesday.  What an awesome afternoon.  After work, I told the kids we were going to practice baseball a bit.  So the kids strapped on their new backpack bat/bags to the side yard.  We put on gloves and helmets and Josie shagged balls while Connor hit some soft toss and off the tee.  Connor then shagged balls while Josie hit off the tee.  He’d field the ball and then throw it to me on the fly…unlike his tryout where he threw everything into the dirt.   But the best part was here we were, outside, laughing, sliding, falling down, and having a blast.  Like Walt I was thinking if there was a day I could choose to “go.”  That was the day.  It was exactly how I hoped parenting would be.  All fun and baseball, outside in the sun, laughing, hugging, and high fiving.  What an amazing afternoon.  I’m sure I’ll have more days like this, but it was pretty sweet.

Thursday morning I had breakfast with an old friend and former business colleague.  We talked a lot about business, the blog, life, cancer, etc.  He mentioned that when he reads about my interaction with the children it is as though I’ve been given a gift.  I concurred. I have stated on more than one occasion than I truly consider my cancer as both a God smack and a gift.  There were some things in my life that needed to change and more interaction with my family was one of them. Tuesday’s baseball practice in the yard was a perfect example.  Seven months ago I might have still taken them outside to practice, but we’d be more focused on skills and drills.  I’d probably fall into coach mode and angle toward the most efficient path to improvement. But Tuesday was fun.  And that was the goal.  Get them acclimated to putting on the glove, wearing cleats, making baseball movements…but mostly having fun.  And it was.  The kids were smiling and laughing the entire time.  They had so much fun they accidentally got better.  We even had to fetch momma to come watch “how good they had become" (according to Josie).

Nita and I had a nice discussion about this.  She very sweetly said she didn’t want to lose me and was very happy and hopeful based on the new test results.  I told her not to confuse my pragmatism with a lack of optimism. I have a theory and that in order to beat this or anything, you need to stay mentally strong.  I think that if my cancer goes into remission I need to always maintain the mindset that it WILL come back.  Whether or not it happens is irrelevant.  My theory is that if I let my guard down, accept that it is gone forever then I will not be fully battle ready for another round of surgery, poison, radiation, or whatever needs to happen.  I cannot let my guard down.  This also goes along with my God smack theory.  If I don’t stay aware and allow my bad habits to creep back into my life, then I prove that I didn’t learn the lesson I was supposed to learn.  And if that happens perhaps I’m opening the door to another “nudge” from above.

So here I am, enjoying my life, enjoying my family and enduring my chemotherapy.  It sounds funny to think that I’m looking at a terminal disease through the lens of all the joy it has brought.  But I’m not in the race for the sprint.  I’m in for however long the race will be.  And I’m not sad, I’m delighted to be given this gift of understanding.  Throughout our lives we’ve all seen our peers race out to a big lead in whatever: sports, work, life, etc... only to come back to the pack.  It is why they call the pace man in a mile race the rabbit.  He jumps out to a lead, sets the pace, and then falls off. Sometimes he doesn’t even finish.  The goal in any endeavor is to get to the finish line (and win if you can of course).  The tortoise never gave up, didn’t get down, and certainly did not lack hope or confidence. 

As you may have noticed, I’m somewhat of movie buff and I find a lot of lessons in them.  In the movie Gattica the protagonist, Ethan Hawke, is a “God birth” during a time of genetic modifications designed to remove impurities.  He’s supposed to be invalid as a being in this new utopian society.  However he routinely beats his brother in a swimming competition.  His brother who was genetically altered to remove imperfections is both frustrated and confused by this.  Ethan’s character finally reveals to him, “You know why I won?  I didn’t save anything for the swim back.”  His “perfect” brother was aware of his mortality, Ethan’s character knew he was supposed to die so instead he chose to live.  So there it is.  The tortoise wins.  Connor will catch up to those who jumped out to a big lead and just watch, he will surprise a lot of people. Of this I have no doubt.  And me?  I feel like I sprinted out quickly and then got complacent and lost sight of the finish line.  Now, I’m more aware, smelling the roses, and loving my family.  Can the hare become a tortoise?  Why not. 

Next week is chemo week.  It will undoubtedly suck.  I’ll plow through it, slow and easy and pop up on the other side.  Oh, and I developed plantar fasciitis presumably while teaching Connor to run with longer strides.  Lucky for me another buddy is a podiatrist. So he’ll fix me up and I’ll manage.  It’s not too bad right now and I can still get out there and play ball with Connor and Josie.  Baseball and tee-ball seasons are just starting and my kids are excited.  To be honest, so am I.  We had a practice for Connor’s team on Thursday after work.  How did I get so out of shape that my whole body aches?  And my foot?  Holy smokes!  I iced it, put my brace on, kept shoes for support…and still this morning felt like I was walking on nails.  It was so bad that when I was limping to the kitchen, Connor came over and grabbed my elbow and said, “I’ll help you dad.” What a kid.  So what do I have to complain about?  Nothing.  Estoy en paz.  TeamMarco@austin.rr.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment