Friday, July 21, 2017

It is always something


It’s always something

 

Just like Rosana Rosanadana’s dad used to say, right?  The weekend seemed harmless enough.  Saturday Nita took the kids to the Texas Military Forces Museum and the kids climbed in and out of different aircraft and armored vehicles.  They also shouldered a bunch of weapons including rocket launchers and a bazooka.  They had a blast.  Sunday, Josephine wasn’t feeling so well and was taken to a quick clinic visit.  She came home Strep positive.  Oh boy.  That’s all we need in the house, right?

Well Monday my throat started feeling scratchy, but I figured it might just be due to allergies and drainage.  But in my condition, there is no sense in messing around.  So we made an appointment and got tested.  The initial result was negative, but they ran a second DNA test and found that I was in fact positive for Strep throat.  Well that explains the sore throat, drainage and headaches.  But after a few days of antibiotics and a new humidifier, things started to get better. 

I joked with Nita that before the cancer and of course the trauma of June, I probably would have been in bed ringing a little bell whining for Nita to bring me soup and Gatorade.  Now strep is the least of my worries and is just one more thing to knock out on our way. 

Things are improving since I’ve been home.  My swollen feet no longer look like the stay puffed marshmallow man’s feet.  So now I have more balance and can walk greater distances.  I also feel like I have a bit more energy and am able to do more things for myself around the house and with the kids.  My lungs are improving and I’m using my little breathing anti-pneumonia machine more.  We also bought some humidifiers for the man cave and bed room and that seems to be helping with my dry nose build up.

The one major downfall is my joint pain.  The chemo, which has a cumulative effect, has done a number on my hips and knees.  I’m sure my catching and sports contributed a bit, but the speed of degradation seems abnormal.  I’m trying to stretch and I’ll go see my chiropractor next week.  Thank goodness for the pain meds.  It is something that can be toughed out, so it isn’t a huge deal, but something to keep an eye on.

My appetite is slowly coming back and I’m able to consume a little more.  I even had some urges to snack once in while which has been absent from my life for quite a while.  My weight loss has once again plateaued. And I’ve leveled off, which is nice.  That makes 75 pounds.  Now I see pictures of me from 2 years ago, hell even last fall, and wonder who the heck is the fat guy holding my kids.  I kind of like the new me in a way and will try to add some muscle, but see if I can keep the weight off.  Let’s hope it is a long-term issue to deal with.

On that note, it has been over a month since I’ve had any chemotherapy in me.  I called MDA and they are supposed to schedule a date and time for me to come and discuss some trial options.  I am pretty certain that I’ll be in a phase 1 trial before the summer is out, but at least my body should be healthy enough to withstand the brutal nature of chemo, especially a regimen that hasn’t been tested on humans before.   We can’t forget that even though I’ve been dragged through the fire and made it out, that I still had a bigger disease already working its magic inside me.

My shipment of promotional books came in this week.  I have given a few out to folks who helped with my tournament and of course some of the doctors and nurses who have been caring for me from the beginning.  Nita and Connor are still very impressed with the books and the fact that I am actually a published author now, with a tangible book to see and hold.  Josie is less impressed because her kindergarten class published a book of their “year in review” and it is on display in the school library.  She is very quick to remind everyone that there are TWO published authors in the house and that she was first!  I don’t see the point in letting her know about some of the business publications in my past, because her writer’s pride is so darned cute.

Josephine at one of her camps doing some rock climbing
I still feel like God rescued me from certain death a few weeks ago and am living accordingly.  I’ve spent a lot more time with the kids and trying to impart little lessons with them.  Which is probably why I got strep from Josie, from all the hugs and snuggles.  A small price to pay.  On Thursday night, Connor showed me his driving skills.  We have a golf cart and Nita has let him drive a few times since he is tall enough to work the pedals.  I went with him and he has pretty good touch on the pedals but, as we all were starting out, is pretty heavy on overturning the wheel.  Here is the tail end, coming into our driveway.  https://www.facebook.com/marco.martinez.5245/videos/1624421304298051/
I remember when I was learning, there was no power steering on one of our vehicles and you really had to crank on it.  Also, growing up in the country we had a little riding mower that helped me with my corners and avoiding trees and rocks.  Those were my driving lessons.  All in all, Connor did wonderfully and I told him how proud I was.  He replied, “This is the greatest accomplishment of my life!”  I laughed and gave him a huge hug.  I am not sure about that, but it was a pretty big deal.

Connor swimming at the iconic Barton Springs, a field trip from one of his camps
So it is starting to feel like a normal life around here, barring the aches, pains and future chemo treatments.  But I am encouraged that I may be able to assist with his basketball team again, and hopeful that I could even pitch for Josephine’s coach pitch baseball next spring.  A lot of that is dependent on how successful the trials are, but I am optimistic and have faith.

Oh, the book is available for purchase on amazon now.  In one week, we sold a little over 100 copies and are #44 in the “books on cancer” category.  Please encourage your family or friends who are battling or know people battling cancer to get and read the book.  I think it will help all of them and you to truly understand the transformation that a person goes through from being a “normal” person just doing their thing to a terminal patient with a death sentence.  Trust me, in spite of the humor and wit I apply to the situation, it is quite traumatic.  So please help someone adjust and get them the book.  https://www.amazon.com/265-Likes-Fart-Father-Battling-ebook/dp/B073XQJG6B

As I have said before, God has carried me this far, why would I believe that he would let me go now?  But that doesn’t mean squander the moments in between does it?  Of course not! So until those events, I will remain the loving, doting husband and father who tries to squeeze as much out of the time I have as I can.  God bless and may you all find more special times with those you love as well.  TeamMarco

Book signings are coming soon.

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading your book! What a gift! Praying. Believing. <3

    ReplyDelete