Friday, September 25, 2015

Fight or Flight.


Fight or flight.

What kind of person are you?  Usually we aspire to be one thing, but when the challenge arises we may or may not be that same person.  I found myself watching an ESPN 30 for 30 the other night and it was the one about the Bay Bridge Series.  The 1989 World Series between San Francisco and Oakland.  If you remember that was the year a huge earthquake hit the area and the bay bridge actually collapsed in certain sections. 

Although this episode used the World Series as a pivot or a point of reference, it really told the story about the people it affected both community and athlete.   As they interviewed people who were involved, there were some who got the heck out of Dodge, and others who rushed to the danger areas to help.  Some of the players were concerned about their families’ safety and pulled them out of the stands.  Some went to assist rescue workers every day.

It made me reflect on my life a bit.  Have I always charged into danger?  Luckily I can honestly say that I never shied away from a sports situation that arose.  I was one of those “Hit it to me” kids, not a “Please don’t hit it to me” kid.  But what about life situations?  I think when it came to my wife and children, I certainly have stepped up to the challenges.  But when I was alone or with my friends, I’m not as sure.  Some of it was instinct and being smart.  Like getting out of a high school party when you know something bad is about to happen.  But I also watched a few fights go south and just stood by.  Should I have intervened?  I don’t know.  I don’t mind two bulls squaring off in a fair fight and frankly think it’s part of nature. But I hate nothing more than a mass melee of cheap shots and people jumping in and piling on.

I thought about our honeymoon in Italy.  I was on gypsy lookout and was making eye contact with those who posed a threat, while my oblivious but lovely new bride took in all the sites and architecture.   I watched potential threats peel off when they realized we were no easy mark.  Nita thought I was overreacting and being silly.

I suppose it can be taught or drilled.  Our military is a great example.  I took my CHL class from a former SAS commando who also taught a tactical pistol class.  He would load jams in your magazine as you ran through a course and when your gun jammed, he’d be screaming “GET BACK IN THE FIGHT” while you either cleared your jam or ejected the magazine and reengaged. 



So why am I bringing this up?  Next week I leave for MD Anderson for a week of testing, and as crazy as this sounds, I’m almost looking forward to it.  I am ready to begin my treatment.  I am ready to get better.  I am ready to tackle this, win, and get back to being just a regular dad who coaches baseball and soccer.  I’m not afraid, I’m very much at peace.  I know my support group is strong and counting on my success and I believe in the healing power of God.  The kids have no idea that something could be wrong, we’ve kept their lives as normal as possible.  We’ll inform them if we need to depending on how I react to the chemotherapy.  So wish me luck, keep those prayers coming, off we go.  It’s time to get back in the fight.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be praying you through this, just get in there and fight the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got this, Marco! ;-) Good luck next week! ...BTW I love reading your blog. Love the spirit! Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is faithful. You and your family remain in my prayers. Now go whip cancer's butt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your work and very amazing and important information about the When Airline overbooked which have share in this blog.
    When Airline overbooked

    ReplyDelete