Sunday, September 6, 2015

Pre-Op and Post Op

Part 3
Pre-Op.

So before my surgery when news hit the interwebs and social media networks, I was flabbergasted by the number of people who jumped on the “what can I do” train.  It became unmanageable.  The number of visitors, the texts, messages, posts, and calls were beyond overwhelming, when I got home Saturday there were so many cards as well.  It actually got to the point where I was unable to rest much less respond.  So my best friends Pete and Omar took over and started somewhat guarding me being information intermediaries as well as setting up visiting, food for Nita and the kids, etc.   The rest was me sitting in a room, with the best nursing staff being poked, prodded, medicated, and monitored and waves of family and friends in between drug induced naps and episodes of How I Met Your Mother.  Thank goodness at night there was baseball and college football started.  I had the nurses post “no visitors” signs which people ignored and walked straight through.  Don’t take this as a slight, I’m glad I saw each person who came, it meant a lot and in the grand scheme of things would not have changed the outcome.  Plus I couldn’t imagine some of the poor folks just a few rooms down who had no one to visit, write, or call.

Pre-op also included a lot of folks offering ANY-thing they could do to help as well as housing in Houston should I need to go to MD Anderson.  Turns out I might have to cash a few of those offers.  The favors included setting up a care calendar, food, errand running, kid watching, limo service (okay car rides), and offers to sit with me during treatment.  A friend actually suggested a “sit with Marco during Chemo” calendar.  I thought that was generous but clearly need to figure out how my body reacts and decide if those are moments I want to share.  Finally, as mentioned earlier, I’ve played a lot of baseball and done some pretty fun/crazy things.  Well two of my running buddies came in from out of town just to sit with me before I went to the OR.  We told old stories, relieved Al Bundy days, and just laughed about the good old days.  Finally the nurse kicked them out and my wife came in for final prep.


Now during all this Nita has been a rock.  She’s gotten my boy off to first grade, changed my daughter’s preschool schedule from three to five days, and gracefully answered all inquiries, brought me things I needed, supported our mothers (who were not taking the news well), and kept the children fed and entertained.  I definitely married up.

Post-Op

I had my operation on August 31.  Also from one of my Aggie recruiting sites, a gentleman whom I’ve never met came to the hospital and brought food for my entire family and vigil group waiting for me to return.  The surgery was supposed to start at 3:30, but I didn’t return until 11pm. So I was just coming out of my anesthesia just in time for bed. Nita spent the first night with me and my sleep apnea was so bad it kept setting off the oxygen alert.  My surgery took so long because the rockstar surgeon was so thorough and wanted to make sure I didn’t go through chemo carrying a bag like many on my floor.  But poor Nita was exhausted from entertaining and keeping her painted on smile and I’m sure she was asking why, coordinating events, etc.  So she “woke up” still exhausted and upset.

Anyway we bickered a bit in the morning, really how could she get much sleep due to my alarms and the nurses coming in every 2 hours, so we decided two things.  One, she should spend the rest of the nights at home.  Two, that she schedule a visit with our counselor.  Without betraying confidences, it turns out he has had colon cancer and not only could he explain things to her in way that was supportive, he also told her how best to support not just “a person like me” but Me.  He knows my personality, tendencies, etc., and told her what to expect and how to get me through it.  I’m fairly certain when I am able to drive again, I will schedule an appointment with him so he can give me the cliff notes on what to expect just so I can get my mind right.  No one plays a game without watching film on the opponent, or calling a coach who has coached against the other team.  This battle would be equally stupid to enter unprepared.

So the first step was getting me through the surgery.  Check. 

The second step is getting my bowels moving regularly.  It all starts with a fart.  The nursing staff pushed me to start getting up and walking the hall on the first morning.  They pushed for three to four times the first day to get things moving.  The second day, four to six times with at least two double laps.  One Polish nurse was WEARING me out.  Turns out she had beat leukemia and knew the road home.  So she was pulling me to the light and she was by far the best!  So on September 2, it finally happened.  I farted.  The nurse’s station seemed more excited that I was.  Then to my surprise there were 265 likes and comments.  Not to mention the texts and PMs I received. 

The third step is to poop.  The gum chewing, diet changing, walking the halls, finally worked.  The nurses told me that I was close and not to feel bad if well the air was not so lonely.  My instincts were correct and what felt like it could have been a bit more, was in fact my first poop in six days.  I thought there was going to be a parade over the excitement.  There were FB posts, nurses coming in to congratulate me and the numbers were astounding.  I had no idea that many people were so interested in my bowels.  I also found that this was the ticket home.  So now, I had one more day and I’d be eligible for release and just in time for the first A&M game of the season…on my own couch…with permission to drink in moderation…and another Aggie who would bring me some fatty brisket to make it feel more like game day.  The stars lined up and Nita got me to the church on time.  I was released with two hours before the game, plenty of food and a few friends who dropped by to bring treats and bourbon (as if I’d be out).

No comments:

Post a Comment